Sunday 10 August 2014

Handmade Balsa and Cork Quill Stem Avon Floats

Handmade Balsa and Cork Quill Stem Avon Floats


Cork or balsa? I can never make up my mind!! I suppose cork carries a little more weight which can help with casting but one seems to be no less buoyant than the other so there's no real difference on that front. Depending on the feather pattern cork can look better but balsa can offer a fabulous contrast with the feathers! I suppose its personal preference but if you are anything like me its a tough one to call. 


I am quite different to other makers and enjoy using lots of colour. I love the vibrancy of the bright paints, threads and feather colours. I can make them in more muted browns and blacks which also look lovely but if i am honest i am rarely asked to to do so. The Avon float is the mainstay of most river anglers and a range of sizes will cover you for most of your river angling. I can make them in just about any size from tiny to big enough to trot a monster dead-bait!! I can cut flutes in them or make them on porcupine, cane, greenheart or split cane stems with a range of tip colours! Whatever floats yer boat!! You name it i can make it so don't be afraid to ask!! Enjoy the pics!!













If you would like me to make you a float or two feel free to get in touch!


andy@lureofthefloat.co.uk
01354 651917
07899996190